Monday, October 24, 2011

Rollin' in Style: The Rockland County Columbus Day Parade-Nanuet, NY

 

I may not be from Rockland County, and I am certainly not Italian, but there is nothing better than seeing a community of people come together in joyous celebration and being able to participate in the festivities. Nanuet is a small town, but that does not mean that they don't know how to put together a fantastic parade, even in the chilly weather. I loved the small-town feel and how people could watch the parade from the comfort of their own porches, or they could join their neighbors for an incredible cultural experience. Columbus Day is not just about Italian pride, but also about everything that America stands for. OK, so what if Columbus was really looking for India and just happened to land in America and made the mistake that changed the world forever? Columbus showed us that we should never be afraid to take chances, because if we don't take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself, then we never give ourselves the chance to achieve any greatness. He taught us that it is perfectly ok to make mistakes, because sometimes your biggest mistakes can turn into happy accidents. He taught us that there is always a way to take your negative situation and turn it into a positive. He helps us realize that there is always room for more knowledge and personal growth. AND after losing 2 of 3 ships and making it to dry land alive, I would like to think that he has taught us what determination and resilience can accomplish. 


Now, I'm not saying that I am going to be a navigator and discover any new countries, but I know that if I didn't sincerely believe in myself and in the possibility of achieving great things if I truly apply myself and take chances, then I would have never won Miss Hudson Valley 2012...been accepted to Pratt Institute...gotten my current job...and the list goes on and on. I never really gave Columbus, or his day any thought, but seeing so many people come together to celebrate his accomplishments made me take a second look at this national holiday. Even if the story of his voyage did not have a moral at the end, he would have accomplished something incredible; he would have brought together a community of very unique individuals. It was such an honor to meet the different members of the Rockland community and see all they have to offer. Looking at the crowd around me and how united and happy they looked made sitting in the cold completely worth it...


And even though we may not look like it, trust me, it was cold.

Wave, smile, knees together, back straight, pretend you're warm.
Who would have thought being in a parade would be so
much to think about?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment